Saturday, March 13, 2010

Kick-ass gals...

Did you know that March is Women's History Month? 

A month to celebrate all of the kick-ass gals who came before us, who broke down barriers, overcame obstacles, paved roads, blazed trails, well you get the picture.

So to honor these rad gals, I thought I would bring to your attention a few that empower me to get out there and kick some ass as well.

In a totally random, no particular order kind of way:

Jane Austen


This bad-ass broad was way ahead of her time. In the 19th century, books were written by men and there certainly were no strong-willed, sassy gals in those pages. But Ms. Austen said "hell to the no!" (or probably something more like "Good sir, hath helleth to the noeth") and did her own thing creating some of the most memorable female characters of all time. I mean how can you not love Elizabeth Bennet for unflinchingly telling Mr. Darcy to stick it where the sun don't shine. Priceless, my friends, priceless.

Marie Curie

I know you're all like, "Shoe Gal, really? Marie whosa whatsa?" Well hear me out. Picture it: 4th grade, biography day. Every other girl chooses Betsy Ross and I wasn't about to be one of 15 little gals walking around with a bonnet on their head and toting around an American flag all day. So I chose Madam Curie and to this day, a couple decades later, I still remember her as a kick-ass gal and here's why. She was the first woman to ever receive a Nobel prize and the first person to receive two Nobel prizes. She discovered two elements. Not one, but two. Under her direction, the world's first studies were conducted into the treatment of cancers. She was voted the "Most inspirational woman in science" in a 2009 poll. Pretty kick-ass if you ask me.

Julia Child

I may be a little biased here as I just watched Julie and Julia a couple of weeks ago. But ever since the credits rolled, Julia Child's kick-ass culinary skills have made me want to whip up Boeuf Bourguignon and Coq au Vin all while yelling "Bon appétit!" every couple of minutes (yeah, that wouldn't get annoying). She brought French cooking to the American masses and made it an art form. She has some pretty memorable quotes that I think sums up why she is a kick-ass gal: 

"I think every woman should have a blowtorch."

"Always remember: If you're alone in the kitchen and you drop the lamb, you can always just pick it up. Who's going to know?"

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a 'What the hell?' attitude."

Well said, Julia, well said. 

Betty White

Even though this Golden Girl is still alive and kicking ass and takin' names, she certainly gets a high-five from me. Not only can I turn on the TV in the middle of the night when Mr. Converse is next to me sawing logs to hang with her, Dorthy, Sophia and Blanche and laugh my tuccus off, but this 88 years young gal's career is better than ever. For Pete's sake (and I don't even know Pete) she's hosting SNL in a couple of months! So this month I'm gonna thank her for being a friend.

I know there are about a bajillion more kick-ass gals out there who deserve a shout-out and I tip my heels to them all. Let me know which kick-ass gals float your boat.

Wishing you all the shoes in the world,

Shoe Gal

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for Betty to host SNL! It's gonna be good!

    Ps. I am ashamed to admit I have never read Pride and Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Of course I knew who Marie Curie was..go science ladies!

    Kelly--I haven't read it either, or any of her books! Eek. I gotta get on that.

    ReplyDelete